Diversity at HMS
Diversity at HMS
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.
- Read our Diversity Statement
- Find resources for racial and social justice
- HMS Cares - resources available throughout our community to air grievances and address issues as they arise
- Read the report from the Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion (TFDI)
The work of the Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion (TFDI) and its subcommittees culminated in The Better Together Plan that articulates HMS’s “Big Bang Goal” to be the institution of preference for diverse candidates. Three main committees were convened and continue to meet regularly to carry out the goals set forth in the Plan.
Ad Hoc Committees met for shorter periods of time to meet targeted goals.
In the Spring of 2020, faculty and trainees at HMS-affiliated hospitals and research institutions were invited to share their thoughts about the HMS culture and climate through a survey. The HMS PulseWave 2 Survey was designed to establish a baseline measure of perceptions about inclusion, belonging, and diversity. The goal was to inform ongoing and new efforts that would address identified gaps and areas of concern.
- Community Dialogues
- Better Together Community Dialogue with Lundy Braun
- Masters of Health: Racial Science and Slavery in U.S. Medical Schools
- Low Hanging Fruit and Progressive Narratives: Challenging the Common Pathways to Change
- Advancing Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity in Clinical Research
- Micro-Aggressions: Issues, Allies and Civility
- Imposter Syndrome
- First Generation at HMS
- Monumental Decisions
- Being Other
- Images at HMS
- Author Events
- Film Screenings & Discussions
- Poetry Slams
- UiM Trainee & Family BBQ
- Diversity Demos Virtual Cooking Series for Trainees
- Stand Against Racism
- Juneteenth Celebrations