Daniel D. Federman Staff Award for Exceptional Service to HMS/HSDM
Staff Award Description
Harvard Medical School promotes an environment where institutional service is valued and recognized. The Daniel D. Federman Staff Award for Exceptional Service recognizes staff of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine who have made substantial contributions in service of the school(s). Commitment to institutional service is necessary to the overall success of HMS/HSDM. This Award was established to recognize and celebrate staff members who have set the standard for service at HMS/HSDM through their personal initiative in providing service and engaging others to do the same. Such service often goes unrecognized and unheralded.
An advisory committee to the Dean will review the nominations and recommend staff recipient(s) for this award. Self-nominations are accepted from staff of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
The Daniel D. Federman Staff Award was established in 2014 to recognize staff for exceptional institutional engagement and service in supporting the missions of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine. The Staff Award for Exceptional Service is named for Dr. Daniel Federman (1928-2017), Carl W. Walter Distinguished Professor of Medicine and Medical Education, who was a steward of a long legacy of outstanding service to Harvard Medical School as exemplified in his more than 50 years of institutional service and civic engagement to the medical school and it’s community of staff, students, trainees, faculty and leadership.
Eligibility for the Award
- Staff must work directly for Harvard Medical School or Harvard School of Dental Medicine (i.e., receive an HMS/HSDM paycheck). We encourage nominations for full or part-time staff members from all areas including administration, support, service, and trades. Individuals in decanal positions are not eligible for this award.
Institutional service includes a broad range of services that enable the schools and their departments, divisions, offices and programs to operate and function - and in doing so - also support the missions of the Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine. Staff members from all areas including administration, support, service, and trades, play important roles in the schools’ daily operations and often go above in beyond the routine expectations of their position by getting involved in service to HMS/HSDM.
- The nomination should indicate how a nominee’s service and civic contributions to HMS/HSDM are extraordinary and have had a beneficial or lasting impact on the school(s) or its community of staff, students, trainees, faculty, and leadership.
- The nomination must demonstrate how service goes above and beyond routine expectations and requirements of the nominee’s position.
- The nomination should include specific example(s) that exhibit the nominee’s exceptional service to Harvard Medical School and/or Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
Examples of staff contributions to the school might include one or more of the following:
- Individual or departmental service to the Quadrangle; staff often provide institutional service through their department, program or office by going above and beyond their routine responsibilities;
- Volunteering time in support of programs in other departments or offices at Harvard Medical School and/or Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
- Participating in activities related to recruitment of staff, students or faculty;
- Serving on HMS/HSDM committees, task forces and panels.
- Staff contributions might also include volunteering their service, professional talents or expertise in support of other departments and programs at HMS/HSDM.
For more information please contact: