Dean’s Community Service Award
WATCH THE VIDEO
Giving Back, Paying Forward: 2020 Community Service Awards recognize leadership, service
HMS News | August 3, 2020
About the Award
Community service is an integral part of the missions of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine. In faithfulness to this commitment, the Dean’s Community Service Award was established in 1999 to recognize individuals whose dedication and commitment to community service have made a positive impact on the local, national, or international community.
Since the inception of the Dean’s Community Service Award, Harvard Medical School has recognized the contributions of 142 individuals and donated $1,000 to 138 organizations that serve our community. 11 faculty members have been honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award for Community Service.
2020 Dean's Community Service Award Recipients
Robert S. Brown, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine, BIDMC
The Organization for Renal Care in Haiti (TORCH), Inc.
Matthew Gartland, MD
Instructor in Medicine, Part-time, BWH
MGH Asylum Clinic
Arianne S. Kourosh, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Dermatology, MGH
Deirdre K. Tobias, ScD
Assistant Professor of Medicine, BWH
Norwell Farms Inc
David J. Harrison, MD
Clinical Fellow in Pediatrics, BCH
Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times
Jiska van der Reest, PhD
Research Fellow in Cell Biology, HMS
HMS Class of 2023
PhD Candidate, BBS Program
Oklahoma Science Project-Code Lab
HMS Class of 2020
National Alzheimer's Buddies
Jessica L. Alpert
Case Writer and Researcher, Center for Primary Care, HMS
Boston Area Rape Crisis Center
Tara L. Lauriat, PhD
Program Director for Academic Affairs, Faculty Affairs,HMS
St. Paul Parish Food Pantry
In the News
Harvard Medical School donated $1,000 to support each of the community organizations listed here.
The advisory committee for the Community Service Award will review the nominations and select at least one recipient for each of the four categories:
- faculty member (instructor through professor)
- trainee (house officers, post-doctoral fellows)
- staff member
Harvard Medical School donates $1,000 to the organizations served by award recipients.
All nominations must be submitted online.
We encourage you to nominate someone, whose commitment to and service in the community has made a positive impact on the lives of people locally, nationally or internationally. Self-nominations are accepted.
EXAMPLES of the types of involvement that the committee will consider may include, but are not limited to:
- Service with an established community service organization or faith community that goes beyond what the agency considers to be as work of routine volunteer;
- Creative effort to develop and/or sustain a new program within an existing service agency;
- An overall commitment to service as shown by duration of involvement in one or more programs;
- Development of a one-time service effort, such as an annual event or a disaster relief effort;
- Helping to found a new independent service or program.
Eligibility Criteria for Each Award Category
Each nominee must meet one of the criteria below:
- Faculty (instructor through professor) must be based at HMS/HSDM or any HMS-affiliated hospital or institution
- Trainee must be a house officer, clinical, research or post-doctoral fellow based at HMS/HSDM or HMS-affiliated hospital or institution
- Student must be enrolled at HMS/HSDM or under the HMS Division of Medical Sciences
- Staff must work directly for HMS or HSDM (i.e., must receive a Harvard paycheck)
For more information please contact:
Photos by Jeff Thiebauth unless otherwise noted.